Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sinks of the Roundstone.... Long time no see...

I must say, it was nice not being the leader of a caving trip, for a change.  I didn't have the responsibility to worry about.  The occasion was Jason and Tina's birthday.  Drew decided to do a small caving trip.  It was just to this "boring" easy cave, but it was still a fun time.

                                  (Looking back towards the main entrance)
When we reached what some of them call the "Prayer Room" we sat in there and the rest of the group sang some songs.  I just sort of sat there in the dark.  Two side passage branch off this room.  Jason and I went to the left to a windy canyon section, and everyone else went right.  Jason and I wound our way through until we eventually got to a dry section.  It began stooping, and then there was a tight crawl ahead.  I slithered in first and pretty quickly I took off my helmet.
                                     (Looking ahead to the squeeze)
I kept going, forcing my way through, enjoying the constricting passage.  Jason followed behind me.  Eventually I worked my way through a really tight spot and then discovered my shoulders are too big.  I tried going a little farther but then realized I was stuck.  So, after a couple minutes of working back and forth I began inching my way back out of the passage, enjoying the feeling of an intense wedgie and my shirt being forced up to my neck.
                              (Looking back at Jason)
Jason and I went back to the "Prayer Room" and then went in the right passage.  A little ways in we chimneyed and wedged ourself up a V shaped crack to reach and upper level passage so I could show him   As we were sliding and wedging ourself back down the slipper V Jon and Jordan found us.  The rest of the group went ahead through a bypass and were on their way out (for those of you that worry, don't.  3/4 of our group , myself included, know this cave so splitting up isn't a problem.  Most of us could do our own thing).

We all picked our way out and then went out the back entrance near the railroad.  Then we decided to go through the tunnel and find the third major entrance to Sinks of the Roundstone.  It's an entrance used for flood water.  After some hiking and sliding down a steep slope we located it.  It's definately an exploration for another day which will require getting wet and muddy!
                             (2 1/2 foot diameter log that we found washed inside)
Overall it was a good caving trip.  We changed and drove back to Berea.  The rest of the gang went and got together for spaghetti... I followed was sedentary and came back home to eat Top Ramen...
                                                 (Drew, no he hurt his arm before caving, not during!)

No comments:

Post a Comment