Monday, December 19, 2011

Sinks of the Roundstone

I wrapped up my weekend in Berea with a small easy trip to Sinks.  Brandon didn't have to work, and Jacob and Critter were in town.  As was Rachael, and she had never been caving.  I also only took 5 pictures so I figured I'd put them all into this post.  So we all drove out there and entered in through the railroad entrance.



There wasn't a whole lot of anything that happened.  We cleaned up some trash on our way through, and went off into some side passages that Jacob and I knew about.  I had forgotten how big some of the rooms are.  I would run up the tall mountains, and climb up onto the rocks and look out through the darkness to see everyone else's lights off in the distance.  It was very impressive.
We went off to a side passage I believe is call the prayer room, and I showed everyone how to climb high up into a crack to get to an upper passage that led to a deep pit.  Of course, I had to go sit out on the edge and lean over so I could see the bottom :)  
As we got to closer to the last 1/4 of the cave we discovered there was a steady stream flowing into the cave this time.  It was still much less water than I've seen at Sinks this time of the year.  We crossed back and forth over rocks to avoid the water, and made our way out.  I was disappointed though, that it had been too warm to have an ice buildup on the main entrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment