Monday, February 13, 2012

Donahue Cave

Very early Sunday morning I arose and drove over to Cincinnati to pick up my caving friend Chris.  Then we spent the next couple hours driving over to Bedford, Indiana.  We were going to go to Donahue Cave, and go through the connection to get to Doghill Cave.  It was the same trip I did back before Thanksgiving with Gil and Scott.
Chris and I went in through the drainpipe that was shoved into the entrance when the highway was built.  At first it's just a relatively "boring" (as boring as caves can be) windy stream passage.  Narrow at the bottom and wide at the top.  But soon we got to a really large mound of flowstone coming down.  Lots of rimstone dams and pools ringed it and water trickled down.
We climbed up over this, and then had to climb back down the other side.  The otherside was very beautiful as well.  I climbed down and stooped in the water to get some pictures of water trickling down, and the different patterns.
Then we continued on and walked in the stream.  We soon got to the parts that had numerous natural bridges.  Some of them are high up in the air, some are so low you can climb over them, and others you crawl under them because they are at an inconvenient height to climb them.  But I tried my hardest to climb over every one of them.  I was in no mood to crawl.
                                      (Sprawled out on one of the bridges, about 20 feet above the water)
We finally made it to the giant mound of flowstone that choked off the entire canyon.  The only way through was under it.  On the left hand side is a crawl through the stream.  Part of it you can do on your hands and knees, but near the end you must get onto your belly.  And depending on how deep the water is you get your head in the water too.  I led the way, and Chris followed me.

We made it through and I led him up onto the flowstone mound.  On the backside you could climb up and there are two rooms.  Both have really beautiful pools with very active formations still flowing down.
                                        (Chris, taking a "bath")
After that we dove back under the flowstone and backtracked to to a point where I was almost positive was the connection passage to gain access to Doghill Cave.  So I led Chris in there.  We passed a few cool formations but after a while I began to get skeptical.  It was turning into a very miserable crawl in mud, water, and over rough gravel and flowstone.  But I kept going until I saw the passage jutting upward ahead.  I knew I had missed the connection.  So, I wiggled my way around until I could turn around.  I painfully crawled back out and eventually Chris and I regrouped in the main passage.  What I thought I remembered the connection passage being, indeed wasn't.  I looked for a couple minutes but then decided to cut the trip short.  I still had a drive back and wanted to meet a friend at the airport.  If we did happen to successfully find the connection it would be a good 2-3 hours to get through it.  So we turned around.

It was a good trip, but I'm going to figure out where that connection passage is so I can go back and really work on getting to know Doghill Cave and get some good pictures and videos.  Until next time, the caver says adios!

Link to all photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/116396676277007122980/DonahueCave

Video: http://youtu.be/TGjZfrLo5VI

8 comments:

  1. There are some beautiful formations. You keep taking the pictures so that I can enjoy them above ground.

    ~Ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been in this cave many times and the entrance to the upper level of Donahue's Cave that leads to Dog Hill Cave is very hard to find. From the culvert entrance you took, it's up and to the left after walking for a while. When I say UP, I mean UP. You climb up and in a hole going up to the left at an angle. If you don't know where it is, you'll walk right by it. ;-) I used to have a map I used 25 years ago. If I find it, I'll post a little better explanation. The upper portion of Donahue's Cave is the more beautiful section, IMO. Great pics and thanks for sharing the journey! It brings back great memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about the connection! Made that trek many times just like you, but 40 years ago! Lol

      Delete
  3. I would love to view a map! I actually have gone on the connection once, with a couple guys, on my first trip. We went in Donahue, and about 8 hours later, made it out Doghill. But I don't remember how to find the passage. It is an extraordinary cave, once you get past the water passages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi im a caver contact me jason harris (necro phantom) on face book

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty sure my childhood chums and I made it to the end! One name from 1972 was there! Its an extreme experience few should try! Burt's squeeze ends the journey for most!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I crawled through this back in 1973 or 1974. I remember a very long and narrow "torpedo" tube that took an hour or so to get through. Does anyone remember this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went through the cave yesterday with a few other people and went through the connection and explored many of the passageways in what I think is the “dog hill cave” section. There were so many passages and turns we made so I can’t remember everything, but I do specifically remember crawling through a long and narrow passage with squishy/rubbery mud on the ground. It looked like tons and tons of cavers had gone through it before since there were two groves running along the floor made by people’s hands, knees, and feet. That tunnel led to a lot more passageways, one of which ran directly above the creek by about 30-40 feet or so, according to a YouTube video from a while back I found. The passage kept going and going, so we turned back since we left our bags at the original creek in the Donahue “main” passage. According to that video the passage would have eventually led to the dog hill entrance to the cave. The whole trip we were trying to find that “third” entrance to the cave! It’s a shame we didn’t press on and find our way out that way.

      Delete