Monday, April 16, 2012

Darkness and Light

I was really dying to get back into a cave, and I was so happy to have the opportunity this past weekend!  We switched caves a couple times, but by the time we were meeting, I just wanted to get into a cave.  So, I went to Pine Hill.  Our group consisted of Rachael and I, and Jon Carman, and Brittany Mathis (whom I had been trying to get into a cave for quite some time, but she could never come on a trip).

It was a pretty straight forward trip.  We were going to the Tower Domes.  Jon had never been there.  He measured them with his laser range finder.  One of the domes topped out at about 106 feet.
Then we went up into the canyon and the formation room that was at the back of it.  We took a break there, and Jon and I climbed up onto a ledge and got some pretty cool views of formations.
The climb down was pretty tricky, but I was able to do it without any trouble, with Jon "spotting" me as I came down, feeling for foot and handholds.  After that, we decided to go up through the waterfalls, and to the large formations at the back of the cave.
After going through the waterfalls, and Brittany falling in, we went back out.  On the way, I saw a crayfish eating a dead bat or something, in the water.
When we all got out, and changed we went to Denny's and ate dinner in Mt. Vernon.  We were all starving (especially me, since I hadn't eaten a meal all day, just a few snacks).   I had a wonderful Bacon burger :D

No comments:

Post a Comment