Saturday, January 8, 2011

Caving Helmets

Well, I thought I'd post a picture of my new caving helmet.  Uncle Larry and his family got me one for Christmas.  I never got one because they are expensive.  And it has clips to hold a headlamp on.  I also used some zip ties to mount a small LED flashlight to the sight where there were some slots.

The other night, Erik and I also "modded" some construction helmets.  Uncle larry has a bunch in his attic.  We drilled some holes in them and used some short bolts, nuts, and washers to create clips on the outside that would hold a headlamp on.

Also, I thought it would be worth mentioning the other amazing Christmas gifts I got from all of my family.  I got, I believe, 12 books on caves and caving, a dry bag for caving, and a collection of caribeaners.  These started my collection of gear for when I get into vertical caving.  I have friends at school that have done it a little bit.  At the end of the summer I hope to buy a harness and an ascender.

Tomorrow is a caving trip!  I haven't been able to go caving since the end of October.  My last plans for a trip were ruined by 4 inches of snow.  But it's all looking good now.  When my cousins Erik and Mark bring me back to school we are going caving.  I'll take them, Daniel Schlagel, and Megan to Pine Hill.  It should be a fun time.

1 comment:

  1. You guys did a good job on those construction hats. I am sure that will be nice to have and use tomorrow.

    ~Ma

    ReplyDelete